Saturday 1 November 2014

Psoriasis : Diagnosis and the doctors who gave up.

I've developed Psoriasis over the past 6 years. Since around the time that I had children. 

It's taken different forms over the years, initially it was small itchy patches all over arms and legs, leaving white patches on my skin. More recently it's been a scaley scalp, small patches all over my body, very flakey and very itchy, sometimes they are bright red and other times they are white and flakey. 



I've been seeing the doctors at my local surgery intermittently over the past 5 or 6 years. Each time I've been prescribed a variant of a cortisone cream. The creams seemed to work for a short time but then after a few weeks, the creams would have no effect.

I started out using a tar based shampoo and then I was prescribed a shampoo which helped for about 6 months. I couldn't believe it! After I got a second prescription of the shampoo, this also had no effect.



On my last visit I was told that there probably wasn't much more we could try and that I would probably have to learn to live with it and manage it the best that I could. 

It's been a couple of months and the condition has only got worse. Not only is it extremely itchy it's embarrassing too. My scalp and face are flaking right in front of everyone's eyes.

The doctors have given up on me. Should I go back and insist on a referral to a dermatologist or is this it for me now?

To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment